The Department of Premier and Cabinet is reviewing the Lobbying of Government Officials Act 2011 (NSW) (the Act) on behalf of the Premier as required by section 24 of the Act. The review is to determine whether the policy objectives of the Act remain valid and whether the terms of the Act remain appropriate for securing those objectives.
The policy objectives of the Act are considered to be to increase transparency and enhance regulation of lobbying by:
- providing a legislative basis for the regulation of lobbying;
- applying a Code of Conduct on all lobbyists;
- establishing the Electoral Commission as an independent regulator of lobbyists;
- enabling the independent regulator to investigate alleged breaches of the Code and legislation and impose sanctions;
- banning lobbyist success fees; and
- restricting lobbying by former Ministers and Parliamentary Secretaries.
The Act can be viewed on the NSW legislation website.
A discussion paper for the review may be viewed on the Department of Premier and Cabinet's website.
Interested individuals and organisations are invited to make submissions to assist the review.
Submissions should be sent to the Deputy Secretary, Cabinet and Legal, PO Box 5341, Sydney NSW 2001 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for submissions is 24 February 2017.
Submissions may be referred to in the final report to be tabled in each House of Parliament and be made publicly available, unless you advise that you wish all or part of your submission to be treated as confidential. Information in a confidential submission may be required to be disclosed under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 or where otherwise required by law.