The NSW Government has established a panel of experts to investigate the potential for further reforms to election funding laws (view the Premier's press release).
The Panel has been established in response to public concern over the influence of political donations on the integrity of government decision-making - concern that has been heightened by ICAC's recent public hearings in relation to Operations Credo and Spicer. The ICAC is investigating allegations that certain members of Parliament and others corruptly solicited, received and concealed payments from various sources in return for favours, and solicited and failed to disclose political donations from companies, including prohibited donors, contrary to the Election Funding, Expenditure and Disclosures Act 1981 (NSW). Further information about the ICAC's investigations is available here.
The Panel members are Dr Kerry Schott (Chair), former Labor Deputy Premier The Hon. John Watkins and former Liberal Shadow Attorney General Mr Andrew Tink AM. More information on the Panel members is available here. The Panel members have been appointed by Letters Patent issued by the Governor.
Terms of reference
The Panel's full terms of reference are available here.
The terms of reference require the Panel to report to the Premier by 31 December 2014 on options for long term reform of political donations, including whether or not it is feasible and in the public interest given all considerations (including legal, constitutional and others) to provide full public funding of State election campaigns.
The Panel delivered its final report to the Governor and the Premier on 24 December 2014.
The NSW Government provided its response to the Panel’s final report on 5 March 2015.
- Government response to Expert Panel's final report
- Attachment A to Government response to Expert Panel's final report
- June 2016 Update
- June 2017 Update
- Letter to the Premier - interim report
- Interim Report
- Issues Paper - Political Donations
- Working Paper 1 - 'Overview of Australian Election Funding and Donations Disclosure Laws'
- Working Paper 2 - 'Update on International Campaign Finance Laws and Full Public Funding Models'
- Working Paper 3 - 'The Merits of Full Public Funding'
- Working Paper 4 - 'The Cost of Elections in New South Wales'
- Working Paper 5 - 'Reconsidering the Reform of Political Donations, Expenditure and Funding in New South Wales'
- Academic roundtable - Session 1 - The regulation of political donations and electoral expenditure
- Academic roundtable - Session 2 - The regulation and governance of political parties and associated entities
- Academic roundtable - Session 3 - Public funding of election campaigns
- Academic roundtable - Session 4 - Constitutional issues and reform of election funding laws in the wake of the Unions NSW case
- Andrew Moran - Individual
- Dr Joo-Cheong Tham - University of Melbourne
- Professor George Williams - Gilbert and Tobin Centre of Public Law, University of New South Wales
- Peter Donovan - Individual
- Professor Anne Twomey - University of Sydney
- Professor Graeme Orr - University of Queensland
- Marilyn Long - Individual
- Dr Iain McMenamin - Senior Lecturer, School of Law and Government, Dublin City University
- Alan T Fredericks - Individual
- Keith Kelly - Individual
- The Honourable Peter R. Graham Q.C. - Individual
- Patrick Synge – Funding & Disclosure (Inc)
- Shayne Higson – Voluntary Euthanasia Party
- Charles Matthews – No Parking Meters Party
- Anthony D'Adam – Individual
- Dr David Solomon AM - A/Queensland Integrity Commissioner
- Australian Labor Party, NSW Branch
- Adam Johnson - Individual
- Dr Anika Gauja & Professor Rodney Smith, University of Sydney
- Jane Oakley - Individual
- Hunter Communities Network
- Bruce Hawker - Campaigns & Communications
- Bret Walker SC - individual
- Peter Morris - Individual
- F Majeed - Individual
- Annie Morris Wieland - Individual
- Stop Coal Seam Gas Blue Mountains
- Susanne Rix - Individual
- Baz Thrower - Individual
- Nicola Bludau - Individual
- Eddy Hearns - Individual
- Antony Green - ABC Election Analyst
- Charmian Eckersley - Individual
- Richard Stanford - Individual
- Greg Stiles - Individual
- John Robertson MP - NSW Leader of the Opposition
- The Greens NSW
- Urban Development Institute of Australia
- Rodney Cavalier
- NSW Electoral Commission
- NSW National Party
- Unions NSW
- Alex Greenwich MP
- Urban Taskforce
- Alexander Reid - Individual
- Narelle Stiles - Individual
- Roger Pearson - Individual
- Nature Conservation Council
- Senator David Leyonhjelm - Liberal Democratic Party
- The Law Society
- The newDemocracy Foundation
- Greg Piper MP
- Foundation for Alcohol Research & Education
- Lock the Gate Alliance
- Leong, Hazelton & Tello
- The Dame Pattie Menzies Liberal Foundation
- Burwood Community Voice
- Reno Aprile - Individual
- Australian Manufacturing Workers' Union
- Dr Simon Longstaff AO - St James Ethics Centre
- Edwin Chen - Individual
- Public Relations Institute of Australia
- Associate Professor the Hon Dr Ken Coghill - Monash University
- The Accountability Round Table
- Christian Democratic Party
- Australian Cyclists Party
General and media inquiries may be directed to the Panel by email at email@example.com.